The Secondary Education Program Coordinator is responsible for assisting the Work Ready
Oklahoma Emerging Leaders Program participants navigating study and classwork requirements,
assisting faculty at the University of Central Oklahoma in understanding the challenges faced by the
participants, and coordinating with other WRO staff members in order to provide a full range of
eligible services, all in an effort to increase the likelihood of successful completion. This position will
be responsible for inspiring, coaching and building the capacity of emerging leaders to improve the
conditions of teaching and learning in each of their future school sites.
Work Ready Oklahoma is a joint effort of It's My Community Initiative (IMCI) and Public Strategies, to
develop research-informed workforce solutions throughout Oklahoma. WRO offers programs that
serve a number of special population groups, including veterans, the historically unemployed or
underemployed, individuals with a criminal background including those reentering communities from
incarceration, incumbent workers, and low-skilled or low-wage workers. Over the years, WRO has
developed a reputation for and continues to demonstrate the value and efficacy of well-thought
approaches to incorporating soft skills, vocational training, continuing education, job placement, job
coaching and career advancement in ways that make obtaining consistent employment with a living
wage more accessible. Additionally, WRO continuously looks for opportunities to innovate within the
workforce development field and, where appropriate, develops and fosters social enterprises that
include employment opportunities for the populations served and whose financial success can be
reinvested in the services and resources needed to build the WRO model.
Essential Job Functions
- Advises individuals and cohorts to ensure students enroll in and successfully complete the
courses and activities associated with the program;
- Mentors students, including assisting with challenges associated with multiple work and family
- Identifies studentís barriers to completion of the program and coordinates with other program
staff for finding solutions for removing the barrier;
- Meets regularly with students, Oklahoma City Public School leaders, and IMCI program
leadership in order to serve as a program liaison in coordinating activities, planning courses,
assisting and directing instructors, and managing other details related to program delivery and
- Teaching assigned courses on an adjunct basis, as needed (UCO will be responsible for
compensation for these duties).
- Advanced Degree in education
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a classroom teacher in an Oklahoma public school;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a senior leadership position (superintendent, principal) in
an Oklahoma public school system;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the Higher Education System teaching and preparing
students to enter the public education system.
- Experience working in a mentoring or advising role
- Must be very comfortable with public speaking and be able to communicate ideas, advice,
feedback and critiques professionally and concisely in individual and group settings;
- Ability to recognize weaknesses and develop plans to aid in personal and career growth
- Must own the process and outcome of equipping Emerging Leaders Program participants for
success in OKCPS
- Experience working to support and implement large scale, multi-dimensional projects preferred
- Demonstration of solid communication skills
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some evening and weekends
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, including but not limited to Excel, Word, PowerPoint and
Outlook with mastery level knowledge and experience, preferred
Essential Physical Requirements
Sufficient mobility and strength to move about the facility. Ability to be mobile throughout the
To apply for this position with IMCI, please send an email with your resume attached to HR@itsmycommunity.org.
IMCI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and therefore does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or against disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans, and armed forces service medal veterans or any other classification protected by law.
Equal opportunity employer. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.